Monday, April 20, 2009

Guitar Concerto.

Today, as I was in mass, I got hit with an idea of something I wanted to do. Of course, this is in the middle of mass, so its debatable whether or not I should've been focusing on it instead of the mass anyway, but it's too late now to change anything.
I've always wanted to write a concerto. The only problem is, I'm not good enough at the violin to write a good violin concerto, or at least one I can play, nor am I good enough at the piano.
So then the thought hit me.
What about a guitar concerto? I mean, If theres anything I'm good at, its messing around at the guitar, and I think it would be a lot of fun if I exactly got to lead a smallish orchestra in it, and be the solo instrument. So it was decided then, that that is what I need to write.
Well, now comes the hard part: I need to know what a Concerto is. To my limited knowledge, its a piece where in one instrument is picked as the solo instrument, and while the other instruments are backing up the solo instrument, the solo instrument dances around them, introducing melodies, improvising solos, and so on and so on. At worst it could be seen as an opportunity for the soloist to show off. At best it could be seen as the focus being put on one person trying to push the boundaries of whatever instrument they're playing. I'm hoping whatever I write lands somewhere in the middle, because I'm not going to be pushing boundaries on the guitar anytime soon.
What needs to be done, in order for me to write this to my fullest extent, is research. Questions to ask are:
-What sound am I going for?
-What key?
-What instruments are backing up the main instrument?
-What will the tempo be?
-What will the mood be?
-What format, as one movement or multiple ones?
-How long?
And so on and so on. Probably the easiest way to decide what sound I'm going for is to look for something to inspire it. Whether it be a poem, or a sunny day in a certain spot, I just need to find a moment. Then I need to capture that moment and commit it to music, releasing it through the instruments to be heard by others.
AS far as being able to be able to write this in a certain form, I need to do one thing: listen. I need to listen to past concertos, to examine them in detail. To see how the solo instrument and the "back up band" play off each other.
To start, I found a little gem on youtube:
McLaughin's "Mediterranean Concerto"
This is a very good example of the sound I'm ideally looking for. The main thing I like is how the guitar is the main purveryor of the melody. However, I think what I would love to see is the melody passed off in different forms, played by different instrument groups and then returned to the solo instrument. Well, I guess all I need is time.
With school the way it is, I wish it was another break, where I could spend a good few hours just working on music related things, instead having to worry about sleep, school or anything really.
-Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment